In order to qualify for IA HBPA or National HBPA benefits, a person must first become a member of the IA HBPA. Membership is obtained by being licensed by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission as a race horse owner, trainer, or owner/trainer, and starting at least one thoroughbred at a recognized racetrack within Iowa. Once a person has obtained a start they are automatically qualified as a member for the remainder of the calender year in which they started and the subsequent calendar year.

Members of the Iowa HBPA are also considered members for the National HBPA Being a member of both organizations has different benefits. Please review either the IA HBPA Benefits or National Benefits, depending on what area you may need assistance in.